Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Rice Krispies Treat Secrets

You surely don't need a recipe for these old favorites, although I will post the one that has been published on the Rice Krispies boxes for as long as I know.  It's easy to make these, easy to add additions for color or flavor and very easy to cut and serve them if you have a few ideas.  Here is some of what I do after years of practice.

First of all, for events I make my in a half sheet pan, not the thicker 9x13 pan that is suggested.  This is certainly the depth to do if I have to cut particular shapes like hearts.  Also, I find it is easier to get more neat pieces out of the more shallow pan.  Anything that actually cuts into the krispies would be making cleaner cuts if it's been sprayed with PAM.

Second, when the krispies are mixed and laid out in the pan I cover it with plastic wrap and then use something flat to press them as even as possible.  I found that if I only use my hands I never get them as smooth as I would like.  The plastic wrap keeps them smooth and my meat pounder clean.

Third, when they have sat for a while and cooled I cut them using a ruler to measure my pieces.  Whether you want 3" blocks or 1x2" pieces a ruler can help you make beautiful cuts.  I use a ruler that used to be for quilting but has had lines wear off.  I can put on a line of masking tape (or in this case a few sticky notes) to mark my desired size.  While the krispies are covered with plastic wrap I use a bread board scraper as my knife and mark the rows by pressing against the plastic wrap into the bars.  Amazing enough, the plastic does not tear or get caught in the bars.  I then turn the pan and do the same thing again.  Now I can remove the plastic wrap and cut fully along the lines I marked.  I usually take out the first four because after that getting them out is much easier.  The pretty bars are easy to fully cut and remove from the pan onto a plate.  Enjoy!




Rice Krispies Recipe

3 tablespoons butter 
1 package (10 oz., about 40) JET-PUFFED Marshmallows 
6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

2. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.

3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.


MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment