Saturday, October 15, 2016

Green Blessings - Zucchini Style

This time of year we always have plenty of zucchini, at the market, in the garden, at the office, just about anywhere you look, you can find some.    Today I found a lot, which is good.  Some Saturdays I wake up and know what I'll be making for my delivery on Sunday and already have a grocery list and a delivery plan.  Today was not that day.  I woke up at 3:00 AM and have felt my brain moving in six different directions and none of them got me to a recipe I wanted to try this evening.  I do try to make the snacks seasonal, to a degree, but honestly at one point this afternoon I had about given up and thought I'd just make scones.  I thought about it and turned it down.  Then I remembered when we were little, before we began summering in Maine, mom would often make zucchini bread in the summer.  Now, let me say, she didn't garden much.  I think she got the zucs from a neighbor or a friend we knew as "Cinderella".  It was the 70's and women baking often used mixes because that was "cool".  But this recipe was something made from scratch, and it was delicious, it makes 2 loaf pans.  (Don't ask me how many times I multiplied it for tomorrow!  LOL)  I hope you enjoy!

My (Mom's) Zucchini Bread

2 1/2 cups sugar

3 cups flour

1 Tablespoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

3 eggs

1 Tablespoon vanilla

1 cup oil

2 cups zucchini, grated, drain if it's dripping otherwise you're good to go.

1 cup chopped walnuts  


DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 F then butter two loaf pans.

In a large bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder with a whisk. Make a  well and add eggs, vanilla and oil using a fork to break up the eggs and combine the liquids first and then pull in the dry ingredients (I switch to a wooden spoon at this point) when it is about half combined, add the zucchini and walnuts and stir until all well blended.  Divide this batter between the two pans and bake for 1 hour.  Let cool until you can handle the pans and the breads have pulled away from the sides.  With a little encouragement from a spatula the breads should be removed onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before cutting if pretty slices is a goal.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment