Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Italian Sour Cream Cookies


I was doing some research for Italian dessert recipes and found this cookie recipe.  To me it read like a sugar cookie except it doesn't take much sugar.  I became curious and decided to make it for my Sunday gig.  Have I mentioned how much I enjoy having a regular job that allows me to make whatever I want to make?  I *love* it because I get to play with new recipes for a large audience that tells me what they think by how much gets eaten in three hours.  I can tell you, I tasted this cookie and loved it so much it will become part of my Christmas platters.  I hope you try it and enjoy it, too.

I will say that this recipe doesn't make nearly as many cookies as I expected based on notes in the original recipe I was using.  A single recipe is supposed to make 2 dozen cookies.  Since you can make this and put 20 on a half sheet pan I am giving you the measurements for a double recipe.

On the other hand, these were 74 of the most delicious cookies I've made (that didn't include chocolate) in a long while.  The sour cream was just enough of a tang and the low sugar was a benefit in my book.  I am providing you with my version of this recipe, which is a double of the original (because who would want to come out with at least 36 delicious cookies?)

The other change I made was about forming the cookies.  The directions said to chill the dough and roll it out and cut it.  Well, seriously, I thought about it.  I thought I would roll it out and use a ruler and my rotary pastry cutter with the ruffled edge to make square cookies.  When I got busy doing these however the Gators football game was on and I didn't want to take the time.  (True confession.) I used a small dough scoop and then pressed them flat with a meat tenderizer.  (This is not the first time I have shown you creative ways to use a meat pounder in baking!)  It made cookies that were the 1/4" depth and with rough edges.  They reminded me of something my not-Italian memere would make and that made me VERY happy.  I can't believe I didn't take a picture of the finished cookies, but I will make this recipe again and add those photos when I can.  Enjoy!




This recipe is super easy to put together and I am expecting to make a bunch of them and freeze them in the months ahead.  Enjoy!

Italian Sour Cream Cookies 

Yield:  4 dozen

2 sticks of butter, best if warmed to room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup sour cream
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
crystalized sugar (optional)

Set your oven to 350F

Cream butter, sugar and sour cream until fully combined.

Add yolks and vanilla and repeat.

Add remaining ingredients and mix just until it is combined.  (FYI: I like to combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl, just to make the mixing in happen without worrying that the baking powder and soda are equally distributed.)

Using a scoop or a table spoon (I use Pampered Chef small scoop) put 20 balls of dough on a large sheet pan.  Gently press each ball of dough with something hard and flat.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden at the edges.





No comments:

Post a Comment