Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Sally's Peach Muffins

Sally's Baking Addiction has inspired me more than once.  This recipe grabbed my attention one day when I was researching peach anything because I wanted something, anything that wasn't peach cobbler.  I have loved this one so much I never tried another one.  Now, if you go to her site, you will see I don't quite make the muffins the way she does.  Once again, I have a muffin calling for struesel topping which I apparently am not capable of doing right.  My topping always ends up a coating instead of crumbs.  I keep playing with it.  My muffins are also very flat topped, which would be less appealing if they weren't delicious, but they really are very good tasting.  Having said that, I often don't bother with the creamy piping.  It all depends on whether I want it to look beautiful.  Honestly, I find these sweet and wonderful without an extra whisper of sugar.  

My dear friend Sandy gets credit for getting this into my blog.  She had a huge event to make muffins for and asked me for an idea.  This is the one I sent her, I'm glad it worked!  

Sally's Peach Muffins 

Struesel:
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 c. butter, melted
2/3 c. flour

Combine all and set aside.

Muffins:
1/2 c. unsalted butter, soft
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 c. yogurt... I use plain full fat greek yogurt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 & 3/4 c. flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 T. milk
1 1/2 c. frozen peach slices... I live in Georgia and still I buy frozen peaches for this recipe  

Set oven to 425 F and prepare a 12 muffin pan, either grease it well or use muffin liners.  Beat butter until smooth and add sugars, beat until mixture is light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, then add yogurt and vanilla.  Beat until fully mixed, scraping the bottom of the bowl as needed.  

In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice and salt.  Pour wet ingredients over the dry and hand mix the two.  When it gets stiff add milk and then just before done add the peaches and mix.  

Divide the batter evenly, make sure the cups are filled completely.  Use streusel crumbs heavily.  

Bake for 5 minutes at 424F and then turn the baking temp to 350F and bake for 15-20 minutes.  They should be beautifully browned and crisp at the edges.




Glaze is optional but if you want to make it here's the way:  
1 c. powdered sugar  
3 T.  heavy cream 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Spoon the muffin batter evenly between all 12 muffin tins. There may be enough to make a 13th muffin in a 2nd batch, depending if there were a few extra peach chunks thrown in. Fill the muffin tins until they are full all the way up to the top. Press a handful of the crumb topping into the top of each; crumble it with your hands to make some big chunks.
  2. Bake for 5 minutes at 425F degrees, don't open the oven, just lower the oven temperature to 350F degrees and bake for 15-19 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  3. Make the glaze: whisk all of the ingredients together and drizzle over warm muffins.
  4. Make ahead tip: Muffins stay soft, fresh, and moist at room temperature for up to 5 days. Muffins freeze well for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up (if desired) before enjoying.
has inspired me more than once.  This recipe grabbed my attention one day when I was researching peach muffins because I wanted something, anything that wasn't peach cobbler.  I have loved this one so much I never tried another one.  Now, if you go to her site, you will see I don't quite make the muffins the way she does.  Once again, I have a muffin calling for struessel topping which I apparently am not capable of doing right.  My topping always ends up a coating instead of crumbs.  I keep playing with it.  My muffins are also very flat topped, which would be less appealing if they weren't delicious, but they really are very good tasting.  Having said that, I often don't bother with the creamy piping.  It all depends on whether I want it to look beautiful.  Honestly, I find these sweet and wonderful without an extra whisper of sugar.  

No comments:

Post a Comment