Saturday, April 18, 2015

Momma's Carrot Cake

My wonderful husband loves carrot cake.  I had never even MADE a carrot cake before I knew him.  We got married in February many, many years ago and I called his mother when I was a newlywed to get her recipe because he thought it was awesome.  Well, all these years later it's still his favorite cake and after several years of not making it for a birthday dinner (because we usually go out to celebrate birthdays these days) I made it for him as a Valentine's Day gift.  It is still delicious.  In fact, I decided to make a triple recipe and bake it in loaves for my baking order a couple of weeks ago and then, I froze a couple so Hubby can have a little bit anytime he likes.  Enjoy!


Now, Miz Evelyn had this recipe written in exactly the terms I used here, because I mix her recipe exactly as she did.  Makes dear hubby happy every time.  BTW, he specifically told me I have to list this as my recipe, but I promise you it isn't one of mine.  I will simply call it "Momma's Carrot Cake" which covers both my mother-in-law and me.


Momma's Carrot Cake

1st Set
1 3/4 sugar
1 1/4 oil
4 eggs
1 t. vanilla

2nd Set
2 t. cinnamon
2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

3 c. grated carrots

1 c. pecans chopped

Grease and a flour tube pan.  

Combine 1st set of ingredients
Combine 2nd set 

Mix the two together.  Add the carrots and nuts stir just until combined.

Bake at 350 F 45 mins.


Glaze or Frosting:

1 stick butter
8 oz cream cheese
1 box confectioners sugar (1 lb or 3 3/4 c)
1 small can crushed pineapple, drained (juice reserved)

1 t. vanilla

Depending on whether you want something you can pour or something your can apply with a knife you can add as much juice as you like to the frosting.  Add more juice and get a glaze which is what I used for the loaves.  

No comments:

Post a Comment