Sunday, July 26, 2015

A non-baked, non-dessert entry... hmmm, a salad with no lettuce


I haven't ever shared a recipe that wasn't a dessert and I don't even really have a recipe to share and yet here is the dish that I have had so often this summer I felt it was time to share it with anyone who may also have a garden and need a thought that might not already be in her mind.



Literally, this is cut up tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and feta cheese.  It is dressed with which ever vinegar I like (I've been loving red wine vinegar, but have also used balsamic, spice infused balsamic, rice wine vinegar and cider vinegar.) and oil, usually EVOO but at least once it was just a little canola oil.  Pinches of salt, pepper, and whatever herbs you like.  Hubby likes basil or rosemary. I like them and thyme and oregano.  At least once I used a little cardamom (obviously not from my garden) and I haven't found a thing that didn't work well.  

Lettuce was gone from my garden back in May but this way salad continues straight into September.  This can be used as a side dish, as a lunch, it can be packed in a pita or rolled in a tortilla with a little roast chicken or pork from the night before.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment