Friday, July 24, 2015

Better Strawberry Pie


Honestly I've been too busy to type much this summer, but I have been baking and you will benefit dramatically as I get caught up with the pictures I have taken and get recipes or pointers posted.

A true story:  When we were dating, which was a long time ago, Hubby used to talk about the great fresh strawberry pies he enjoyed in Florida.  Living up north, some how it wasn't something I had even heard about, much less eaten and I certainly hadn't ever made it.  By an act of God a college friend Hubby thought the world of lived a few blocks away from me.  Jamye was a a great lady and she could make a lot of southern things.  She was kind enough to share her recipe for strawberry pie with me.  I made it and it didn't work.  I tried it again, it still didn't work.  It was so long ago I can't even remember what didn't work, only that it didn't impress Hubby and I didn't care for it.  After we were married I tried for a couple of years to find a recipe and ultimately decided to leave this one for trips to Florida because there were many other things to make.  This spring Hubby mentioned that he would like a strawberry pie and for whatever reason I began doing some research.  I toyed with a couple of recipes and cobbled together the one that is now known as "Better Strawberry Pie".  I hope you enjoy it!
One perfect slice of the better strawberry pie.

Better Strawberry Pie 

1 baked pie shell 

4 c. fresh strawberries

1 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. water
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 c. strawberry jello powder

Heavy cream kept very cold

In saucepan whisk cornstarch, water and sugar until smooth.  Place on medium high heat and bring to a boil.  Whisk until mixture is thickened, about one minute.  Take pan off the heat and set aside to cool for two hours.

Meanwhile, select the prettiest of the strawberries and set it aside.  All the rest should be hulled and halved.  Arrange these in the pie shell with the one as the center of your artwork.  You can place this in the fridge but I just leave it on the counter waiting for the gelatin baptism.

When the sauce is no longer warm slowly pour it over the berries, make sure each berry gets coated.  Don't worry about the way the gelatin pools, I promise you it evens itself out as you gets it around.  I confess, the first one of these pies had me spooning gelatin sauce over each berry.  I've learned that just isn't necessary.  Use every bit of sauce. (That means use a rubber scraper to clean out your saucepan.)  Put the pie in the fridge for at least an hour and then whip the amount of cream you think you will need.  Honestly I'd rather whisk up enough for two slices and save the rest for fresh whipping the following day but you can do as you choose, maybe you'll even cover the whole pie with whipped cream.  What I know for sure is that you will love this if you love strawberries.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment