Thursday, July 21, 2016

Mom's Favorite is Blackberry Cobbler


When I first moved to Georgia one of the best things I did was join the East Cobb Quilters' Guild.  At my first meeting ever, I sat down and waited for the meeting to begin.  A lady came in and asked if the seat next to me was taken and I said it was not.  We started chatting and found out we were both at the guild for the first time.  Lynda had just retired and lived around the corner from the meeting.  I told her I was new to Georgia and really knew very few people.  That was the beginning of our friendship.  Over the years we found out a lot of things that made us like one another more and more and we have helped each other through the hardest events of our lives which have occurred not in the same window of time, so that we could devote ourselves to serving one another.  She has become my mom of choice.  In fact, I call her Mom, she called me "DOC" for daughter-of-choice.  God has fixed an absence in my life that existed for 25 years.  I miss the mom I was born to, but I am glad to have someone who has filled a million holes in my heart with her love.

Mom's favorite dessert is blackberry cobbler.  I make it for her every time she asks for one and I love it every time because I owe her a great debt of love and service.  I'm always grateful for opportunities to do something for her.  This one is easy and delicious, and I wanted to share it with you all.  Enjoy!

Blackberry Cobbler for Lynda

Base:

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup buttermilk (Do you remember my post about buttermilk?)
1/3 cup melted butter
and
5 cups of blackberries

Topping:

1 1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon of salt

1 cup of boiling water

Directions:

Set oven to 350 F
Grease 9x13 pan with butter

In medium size bowl combine sugar, cornstarch and salt for the topping and set it aside.  DO NOT ADD THE WATER!

Cover the pan bottom with blackberries.  Now I will confess I get a little nuts about this, I want every bit of the pan covered with blackberries and find this is best done by standing them up rather than letting the long side lay down.  Don't feel it necessary to follow my craziness, but it does make me a happy baker.

Combine the base ingredients in a large bowl.  This makes a dough almost like a biscuit.  Spread it out over the blackberries as evenly as possible.  Sprinkle heavily with the topping mix, use it all even when you think it's going to be too much.  

Pour the boiling water as evenly as possible into the pan.  DO NOT MIX!

Bake for 1 hour, remove from the oven and let it cool for at least 30 minutes.  Vanilla ice cream is a lovely addition but not required.  


No comments:

Post a Comment