Thursday, December 18, 2014

Tres Leches Cake


A great adventure with a little fear.  Cooking for a hundred adults is one thing, baking for 30 teenagers is another thing altogether.  Especially when your daughter is going to be facing the comments of the audience for the rest of the school year.  I have never made a cake like this before and I've had a lot of slices of tres leeches where the best thing you could say about them was that they were wet with sugary milk.  (Not that kids would mind that, LOL.)  I really wanted to make a cake that would taste good, not be a complete mess to serve in a classroom and could be a part of discussion about Latino food.  My daughter's Spanish teacher spent the time I was volunteering in the room going on about her personal history with tres leches and I am very pleased.


I will say that I did not follow the directions exactly because the idea of flipping this cake out on a platter and then soaking it did not seem the best thing for a cake that would travel across town, into a school and then be served.  I made this one in a large ceramic pan which would contain any milk that did not get absorbed.  It wasn't the prettiest way to serve the cake, but I didn't end up having to have my car interior shampooed, either.  Now that I've made this I can say the milk mixture did get fully absorbed and I will probably try following the flipping advice if I make it for an adult event. 

Thank you Pati, I look forward to checking out your other recipes!



No comments:

Post a Comment